.: Department of Chemical Engineering :.
Department of Chemical engineering of G H Patel College of Engineering & Technology (GCET) was established, way back in 1996 as one of the first undergraduate self financed (unaided) Engineering disciplines along with Information technology in the state of Gujarat. Originally affiliated to Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar GCET is now one of the affiliated colleges under Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad. The department, having an intake of 60 students, has so far produced 15 batches graduates with over 900 chemical engineers.
In the year 2012 the department of chemical engineering was accredited by the National Board of Accreditation, New Delhi. In the following year, the department received a grant to the tune of rupees eleven lakhs sixty-five thousands from AICTE under Modernization and removal of Obsolescence (MODROBS) scheme. We have also received project grants from CSIR, seminar grant from GUJCOST and Institutions of Engineers (India) (IE). Our department is also recognized by IE(I) as one of the two centers in Gujarat where AMIE students complete their practical experiments as a part of their final examination
The Department currently has twelve faculty members, qualified and experienced, who bring to the Department a wealth of expertise to maintain a vibrant teaching-learning and industry-oriented research environment. The department has twelve separate laboratories having more than 135 equipment/bench-scale experimental set-ups/small pilot plants/analytical instruments to cater the need of undergraduate curriculum of the Gujarat Technological University. It includes not only traditional unit operations, reaction engineering, basic and applied chemistry laboratories, but also computerized process control and simulation laboratory with software for design and simulation. Our laboratories are enriched with pilot plants of nanofiltration, pervaporation and various analytical instruments.
Research and publications
Ongoing research in various areas:
- Nanofiltration of waste water treatment plant effluent/ contaminated water.
- Pervaporation of aqueous-organic mixture for separation.
- Trans esterification of waste vegetable oils.
- Heavy metals removal by emulsion liquid membrane.
- Foam stability using micellar solutions of anionic and cationic surfactants.
Faculty members have a good frequency of publication peer reviewed National and International journals like Desalination (Elsevier), Separation Science & Technology (Taylor & Francis) Hydrometallurgy (Elsevier), Environmental Science and Pollution Research (Springer), International Journal of Environmental Science & Technology (Springer), Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering (Springer), Desalination and Water treatment (Taylor & Francis), International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (Elsevier), Journal of Polymer Science (Taylor & Francsis), Journal of Surface Science & Technology, Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology and many others. Our faculty members have also authored books which are published from Prentice Hall of India, Taylor & Francis. Lambert Publications etc.
Training and Placements
Being situated in the most industrialized state of India, and having large chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical industries around, our department has developed strong industry-institute interface in the form of various industry-institute interaction programmes. These include collaborative students’ projects (Industry Defined Projects), 3-4 weeks of in-plant summer training, regular expert lectures from industrial resource persons and frequent industrial visits.
Today many of our distinguished alumni are holding respectable positions in industries like Reliance Petrochemicals, Essar oils and steels, Tata Chemicals, L & T, TCS, Infosys, GSFC, Atul limited, Gujarat Fluro-chemicals and many more. A good number of them have already completed their Masters, PhDs and post docs in many reputed universities and are settled abroad. A few of our alumni have established their own entrepreneurship in chemical sector. Our alumni are the brand ambassadors of the Institute. Their excellent performance in India and abroad and the untiring effort of the faculty and students at home have brought glory to GCET, Our alumni are playing and shall continue to play a very important role in projecting the image of this institute to the outside world.
Conferences, workshops and training programmes
Over a period of last 6-7 years, the department has taken up a number of initiatives toward evolving directions to further the growth and dissemination of scientific and technical knowledge. We have successfully organized number of National conferences and workshops and have called many eminent experts from the topmost academic institutes and industries from various parts of the country for delivering lectures.
Some of the distinguished personalities visited and delivered lectures in the Department
- Indian Water Congress 2014: national Conference on Resource recovery, Water reuse and recycle for Sustainable Development, Feb 7-8, 2014.
- One day workshop on ‘Advent of Energy in the Present Era’ October 26, 2013.
- ‘Permeation 2013’-One day workshop on Membrane Separation in Chemical and Allied Process industries, October 12, 2012.
- National Symposium on “Green Chemistry & Technology for Sustainable Development” NSGC 2012, February 24-25, 2012
- National Symposium on “Advances in Separation and Purification Science & Technology”, NSST 2011, February 4-5, 2011
- National Conference in “Biochemical Engineering: Present scenario and Future Perspectives”, NCBE 2010, March 12-13, 2010.
- National Conference in “Carbon-di-oxide Capture and Sequestration- Role of Engineers” NCCS 2009, March 6-7, 2009.
- Workshop on “Cleaner Production- A tool for Sustainable Development”, September 11, 2009.
- Workshop on “Occupational Safety, Health and Hygiene in Laboratories”, December 18-19, 2009.
- Module training programme on “Basic Chemical Engineering for Plant Personnel”
- One day course on “Chemical Engineering for Non-chemical Engineers” October 11, 2008.
- Two-day crash course on “Soft computing for Engineers using MATLAB”, February 2-3, 2008.
- Two day symposium on “Drying & Dehydration in Food and Chemical Industries: Recent Advances.” August 22-23, 2008.
- Workshop on “Novel Techniques in Pollution Prevention”, September 29, 2007.
- Professor G D Yadav, Vice Chancellor, ICT Mumbai and J C Bose National Fellow, DST
- Dr. (Mrs.) Manju Sharma, Padmabhusan, Former Secretary, DBT, Govt. of India
- Dr. M O Garg, Director, Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun
- Dr. C K Jain, Scientist F, National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee
- Mr. Fu-Ming Lee, Director of Technology, GT Corporation, USA
- Dr. Anil Kane, Former Vice Chancellor, The M S University of Baroda.
- Dr. Giridhar Madras, Professor, Chemical Engineering, IISC, Bangalore (Bhatnagar Awardee)
- Dr. Gopal P Agarwal, Professor, Biochemical Engineering, IIT, Delhi
- Dr. P K Bhattacharya, Professor, Chemical Engineering, IIT, Kanpur
- Dr. S S Bandopadhyay, Professor, Cryogenic Engineering, IIT, Kharagpur
- Mr. L L Jain, Sr Vice President, Reliance Industries Limited., Baroda
- Dr. Debabrata Das, Professor, Biotechnology, IIT, Kharagpur
- Dr. Pramod Wangikar, Professor, Biochemical Engineering, IIT, Bombay,
- Dr. B P Mandal, Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering, IIT, Guwahati,
- Mr. P Vijayraghavan, Former President, IIChE,
- Dr. A B Halgeri, Former Head, Catalyst Division, IPCL, Baroda (presently RIL)
- Dr. S H R Abdi, Sr Principal Scientist, CSMCRI, Bhavnagar
- Dr. R S Somani, Principal Scientist, CSMCRI, Bhavnagar
- Dr. Kaustubha Mohanty, IIT Guwahati
- Dr. Chada Raji Reddy, Senior Scientist, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad
- Dr. Vinod K Shahi, Sr. Principal Scientist, Ion Exchange Division, CSMCRI, Bhavnagar
- Mr. R M Cursetji, Head, Technology Department, Sud Chemie India limited,
- Dr. N Subramaniyam, Former President, IIChE.
- Mr. D M Butala, Former Executive Director, GSFC limited.
- Dr. Pradip Munshi, Research Centre, Reliance Technology Group and many more.